Follow me then know more about your utility knife, which features will the best utility knives have, and how to pick up the one that exactly meets your using demands.
What Is A Utility Knife?
Utility knives are hand-held, bladed cutters used to shear specific materials during certain manufacturing, processing and building procedures. They have often designed according to the requirements for a single purpose, but are often flexible enough to be used for specific purposes.
Therefore, the vague word ‘utility knife’ may refer to many styles of knives. It’s our turn to go further!
How Can We Sort Out The Utility Knife?
Each type of knife has various strengths and disadvantages, and the right utility knife for work also depends mostly on the blade designs.
Metal Handle: Fixed-Position Folding Knife
- Top 15 Best Camping Chairs To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best Coffee Table Books To Buy in 2020
- How Much Does an Architect Earn?
- Top 15 Best Miele Vacuums For The Money 2020
- Top 11 Cottages Decorating Ideas You Should Try
- Top 15 Best Solar String Lights in 2020
- Top 12 Best Whole House Water Filter in 2020
- Top 15 Best Mailboxes To Buy in 2020
Folding knives, also referred to as hunting knives or buck knives, have a hinge that helps the user to fold the blade in the handle while the weapon is not in use.
This saves the customer from unnecessary wrist pressure when cutting products at vertical or elevated angles.
Metal Or Reinforced Nylon Handle: Manual Knife or Auto-Retractable and Self-Retracting Knife
- Manual Knife: Manual or manual retraction knives keep the blade in a fixed location for cutting, but can require full retraction of the blade while the knife is not in use. For a fact, the shortest blade length to get the job done is always the fastest.
- Auto-Retractable and Self-Retracting Knife: When the user releases the lever, the spring-loaded mechanism automatically draws the sword into the handle.
The blade will remove when there is no friction against it, even though the user still puts the lever forward. It avoids injuries if the customer slips during the cutting process.
Let see my full-compared board to sort out your target utility knife.
Best Utility Knives Comparison Chart 2020
As a companion to the everyday Do-It-Yourself tasks, everybody should have the best utility knife.
|Best Utility Knives||Blade Length||Weight of Items||Dimensions (inches)||Warranty|
|GERBER 31-000345 2.25’’ Utility Knife - Best Overall||2.25 inches||2.29 ounces||2.25 x 1.0 x 0.4||Limited Lifetime|
|STANLEY 10-099 2.43’’ Utility Knife - Best Budget||2.43 inches||4 ounces||1.4 x 3.3 x 3||Limited Lifetime|
|ALLTRADE B0000TMLX0 0.75’’ Utility Knife - Best With Quick Change||0.75 inch||12.8 ounces||1.25 x 6 x 10.63||Limited Lifetime|
|WORKPRO W011013A 2.5’’ Utility Knife - Best With Belt Clip||2.5 inches||8 ounces||6.8 x 3.25 x 2.1||One year|
|KLEIN TOOLS 44133 7’’ Utility Knife - Best in Retraction||7 inches||7.5 ounces||6.88 x 0.75 x 0.5||Limited Lifetime|
|BIG IDEA DESIGN 0.25” Utility Knife - Best for Pocket||0.25 inch||2.39 ounces||4.1 x 2.6 x 0.9||Full lifetime|
|ACETEK ACE-THUS-001 3.8’’ Utility Knife - Best for Box Cutter||3.8 inches||6.4 ounces||7 x 1.6 x 0.8||One year|
|SOUTHWIRE 65029040 1.61’’ Utility Knife - Best in Folding Edge||1.61 inches||4.8 ounces||0.45 x 1.61 x 6.85||Limited Lifetime|
|HUSKY 97211 2.4’’ Utility Knife - Best With Construction||2.4 inches||6.4 ounces||8.8 x 3.5 x 0.7||Limited Lifetime|
|GARDNER BENDER RKT-21 0.5’’ Utility Knife - Best for Electricians||0.5 inch||6.4 ounces||1.3 x 5.12 x 10.6||One year|
|FANCII 1B-UK10 0.75’’ Utility Knife - Best for Heavy Duty||0.75 inch||4.8 ounces||4.5 x 1.8 x 0.8||Money back guarantee|
|HOME PLANET GEAR UK1 1’’ Utility Knife - Best for Cutting Carpet||Multiple ( 1/8, 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inches)||9.6 ounces||6.75 x 0.75 x 0.75||Limited Lifetime|
|MILWAUKEE 48-22-1903 2’’ Utility Knife - Best With Flooring||2 inches||6.1 ounces||3.9 x 10.6 x 1.2||Limited Lifetime|
|SCREWPOP SPT007 0.8” Utility Knife - Best for Handy||Multiple (3/16, 13/16, 3 1/8 inch)||0.7 ounces||3.95 x 2.7 x 0.35||Limited Lifetime|
|MECARMY EK16 2.04” Utility Knife - Best for Drywall||2.04 inches||2.39 ounces||4.4 x 3.1 x 1.4||Limited Lifetime|
Now, you are reaching to the highlights of the best utility knives. Go through and share with me your favorite one!
Which Is The Best Utility Knife?
It isn’t a simple job for us to choose the right utility knife, because the knife you choose largely depends on the project applications. Time for ranking up!
- Best Overall: GERBER 31-000345 2.25’’ Utility Knife
“Replaceable blade for better flexibility, endure the test of time, and lightweight with easily pocket-able shape.”
- Best Budget: STANLEY 10-099 2.43’’ Utility Knife
“Tackle from professional jobs to home tasks, the three-position blade can store in a handle, and beat up with the heavy-duty knife.”
- Best Which Quick Change: ALLTRADE B0000TMLX0 0.75’’ Utility Knife
“The fastest-changing out blade in the world, a release button for better retractions, and named as a Cadillac of utility knives.”
- Best in Retraction: KLEIN TOOLS 44133 7’’ Utility Knife
“Curve design improves user comfort, the triple ground blade is built with high quality, and six extra blades for multiple choices.”
- Best With Belt Clip: WORKPRO W011013A 2.5’’ Utility Knife
“Totally proud about the qualities, designs to minimize the injuries, and stands by you based on the portable size.”
- Best to Pocket: BIG IDEA DESIGN 0.25” Utility Knife
“Able to operate in one hand, famous as the best carrying tool, and 25% stronger for a good versatility.”
- Best for Box Cutter: ACETEK ACE-THUS-001 3.8’’ Utility Knife
“Ensure safe all the time by the lock back, covers with the sturdy construction, and convenient with more extra ten blades.”
- Best in Folding Edge: SOUTHWIRE 65029040 1.61’’ Utility Knife
“Born to be used in one hand, priority your safety with the auto-retracting blade, and accepts all popular two-point blade.”
- Best With Construction: HUSKY 97211 2.4’’ Utility Knife
“Body with ergonomic design, able to run only in one hand, and you can extend or retract with a smooth operation ever.”
- Best for Electricians: GARDNER BENDER RKT-21 0.5’’ Utility Knife
“Special design a voltage warning system for caring, the retractable blade is impressed, and includes a heavy-duty case.”
- Best for Heavy Duty: FANCII 1B-UK10 0.75’’ Utility Knife
“Strong aluminum body than you can see, basic utility knife accepted, and a separate holster for better protections.”
- Best for Cutting Carpet: HOME PLANET GEAR UK1 1’’ Utility Knife
“All purposes of cutting applications in a beautiful finish, a quick-release combined with an easy change, an improvement in handle structure.”
- Best With Flooring: MILWAUKEE 48-22-1903 2’’ Utility Knife
“A real flashback in flipping, all mental construction then will save maintenance time, and carries almost the extra items within.”
- Best for Handy: SCREWPOP SPT007 0.8” Utility Knife
“Known as The Most Clipable Keychain Devices in the World, nicely fit in your luggage, and all-metal covers the long using time.”
- Best for Drywall: MECARMY EK16 2.04” Utility Knife
“Titanium fill in the whole knife, provide capacity for DIY glow bar, and slightly thicker than the SMS blade.”
Top 15 Best Utility Knives Reviews 2020
Go down and let me know if my comment is good enough to bring you the right utility knife that will perform the best efficiency and comfort.
1. GERBER 31-000345 2.25’’ Utility Knife
Gerber has been providing premium utility knives to its clients for many years and the GERBER 31-000345 2.25’’ Utility Knife is one of the newest updates to their line and my favorite blade as well. This pocket-sized cutter has a wealth of features to deliver.
Although the deep finger groove gives it a strong grip, the threaded fastener tightly supports the edge of the cutter. It’s very easy to hold.
This particular model is suitable for a variety of activities, from rough and mildly thick cutting to opening boxes. The handle and excellent finish in stainless steel give it a sleek, contemporary look.
- The knife can be replaced either by a normal size blade or a 2.25-inch contractor blade
- The lock is pretty sturdy, but it’s not too tight
- Keep in place by a sturdy screw mechanism that offers less blade action than other fast release blade systems
- Its lightweight makes it extremely convenient for you to bring around and make it a solid EDC utility cutter
- Contractor-grade removable utility blade
- Secure fit by deep finger grooves
- Handle serves as a purse and a cash clip
- A stable liner lock system
- Difficult to open in wet hand sometime
|Overall Length||6 inches|
|Extra Blade||No extra|
2. STANLEY 10-099 2.43’’ Utility Knife
STANLEY was associated with efficiency, reliability, creativity and value for more than 170 years. From a “do-it-yourselfer” mounting a ceiling fan to a professional builder setting up new homes, the STANLEY 10-099 2.43’’ Utility Knife is the right work tool.
What you can always enjoy is how you can remove or stretch the blade to many different lengths. It ensures a true razor-sharp finish for the end customer, decent hardness, solid durability and long-lasting finish.
This is a firmly built that supports an innovative method for processing and replacing the blades with a single screw connecting the two halves.
- Made of die-cast zinc, the handle is sufficiently thick and well contoured to give a firm feel to the hand
- There is a proprietary interlocking nose, which connects the two halves to stabilize the blade and provide balance
- There are five notches in which the blade is stretched or retracted
- Blade slide has multiple positions
- Come with an open blade
- Require a sheath to store it securely
- Even the maximum length, can safely open boxes
- Spend some time for setting up
- A bit of a wobble on the sides
|Overall Length||6 inches|
3. ALLTRADE B0000TMLX0 0.75’’ Utility Knife
(Best With Quick Change)
Asking about the fastest quick-change, recent researches reveals that this ALLTRADE B0000TMLX0 0.75’’ Utility Knife reduces blade change time to three seconds or less, less than other leading brands of fast-changing knives.
Simply press the button to remove the old blade, push the next button to close the blade protector, and then click the handle lever to open the fresh blade. I must say this item is good for the one who uses blades all day, for instance, a drywall-er.
You will not imagine how fast it is to get back to work. In addition, swapping a rusty or bent blade for a shiny new one needs only three simple steps.
- Automatically loads new knife blade with a squeeze of the handle
- Adjustable handle with a toggle groove for better stability and comfort
- Beefy construction of zinc alloy
- Includes 6 heavy-duty blades in the handle
- Accepts the thicker heavy-duty style blades
- Built with the finest performing products
- Exceeds all standards for tools
- Lack of a belt clip
- Not having the blade lock
|Overall Length||6.5 inches|
More details about the quick-change ability you can see here:
4. KLEIN TOOLS 44133 7’’ Utility Knife
(Best in Retraction)
This KLEIN TOOLS 44133 7’’ Utility Knife retains the tradition with its wire stripped spot and high duty rugged build. Klein Tools doesn’t only make fantastic products; they make great products that satisfy the needs of the practitioners that use them daily.
The internal blade area in the handle can be accessed by simply pressing a button. This knife also has a wire-stripping notch, and two blade locations change the blade depth for customized cutting.
More than that, the bright orange shade makes it easier to spot the knife in a tool bag or pocket.
- Has an arresting nose and adjustable grip.
- Blade depth can be adjusted into two positions
- Stay sharp in the long term with triple ground
- Construct with heavy-duty durability
- Superb quality, the knife lock system and the blade itself are cool
- Smooth flick lock
- Solid and slim handle design
- No weeble-wobble, it’s solid and enjoyable to use
- The assisted opening function does not always open the knife
|Material||Rubber/ Stainless steel|
|Overall Length||7 inches|
5. WORKPRO W011013A 2.5’’ Utility Knife
(Best With Belt Clip)
Workpro are at work bringing affordable reliability to the tool world. Their sole focus is on building unbelievable value for high quality tools.
More jobs will be done neatly since now you have the WORKPRO W011013A 2.5’’ Utility Knife. It slices through pulp, cardboard, plastic, cartons, fabric, bags, leather, PVC, drywalls and many more.
You don’t have to worry about the blade slipping out of your hand while you’re working. This knife covers a back lock that holds the knives securely in place while in action.
- Blade release structure to safely change the blades and to prevent injuries
- Create with an anti-slip grip and a wooden handle to provide further protection
- Compact style and fitted with a belt loop that increases ease of holding
- Simple to open or close in one hand
- Suitable for all regular utility blades
- Medium duty building for use by builders
- The spring places in the handle back
- The pant clip needs to be crimped to tighten with time
- The wood is splitting in multiple places
|Overall Length||3 inches|
6. BIG IDEA DESIGN 0.25” Utility Knife
(Best for Pocket)
BIG IDEA DESIGN production has taken their famous TPT (Titanium Pocket Tool) and cranked this BIG IDEA DESIGN 0.25” Utility Knife up.
The TPT is a scanty 3 inches tall, stuffing an unprecedented amount of versatility into a compact box. For the latest edition, we made the body 25 percent thicker for strength and added a sliding lever to the top for fast and straightforward access to the insert.
You’ll find a full set of keys on this tool, a bottle opener, a hex bit lever, a scraper tip, a retractable box spinner/camp fork, and more.
- Great for fast repairs without the weight of a full-size multi-tool.
- Put in your pocket or backpack to prepare for almost every fast repair when you’re on the run.
- Universal Wrench Style (15 type sockets): SAE 15/64, 1/4, 17/64, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16 in. and Metric of 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 mm
- Accepts razor blades standard utility
- Both dual function and stainless steel available
- Razorblade with 4 notches allows 4 places to be deployed
- Completely suited for keychain-EDC
- A mini pry bar is thin, not indeed indestructible
- Difficult to operate in one hand and also with gloves
|Brand||BIG IDEA DESIGN|
|Material||Greade 5 titanium|
|Overall Length||3 inches|
|Extra Blade||No extra|
Reaching this pocket item and observe for more convenient structure:
7. ACETEK ACE-THUS-001 3.8’’ Utility Knife
(Best for Box Cutter)
The ACETEK ACE-THUS-001 3.8’’ Utility Knife is made of titanium, not plastics, it’s super durable, robust structure, and it keeps my handy partners in an unusual work.
Durable and Muiltusage Acetek box knife fitted with high-quality anodized aluminum and stainless steel frame, which makes it suitable for cutting carpet, sheet, plastic nylon, rope, cardboard box, etc.
Finding well-made materials for the job is challenging. This tool is really an excellent grip for cutting. Besides that, the lock keeps the blade quite well open or closed.
- Security knife box cutter has a lock-back feature and a clear plastic cap on the tip
- SK5 stainless steel blade is strongly resistant to fatigue, wear and rust
- Adjust the edge by clicking the black button Quickly Press on the knife then change the blade
- Stainless steel belt can be attached directly to your bag, jacket or waistband
- Locks the blade in place when you don’t use to protect you from injury
- Ten additional SK5 blades enhanced life cycle
- The ergonomic, non-slip handle has a comfortable grip and is easy to carry
- Lightweight in high-standard materials
- Not fully fit to the base
- Hard to reach the locking button
|Overall Length||3.8 inches|
8. SOUTHWIRE 65029040 1.61’’ Utility Knife
(Best in Folding Edge)
When I open the blade, I see the belt loop, which is an added bonus, clicking the lock button at the top and holding the knife in my arm, I feel very secure and in reach of the blade.
The belt loop gives you just the right amount of friction to keep it safe but ready when you need it. The belt clip is smooth, too, and has no artifacts that will catch on your clothes.
As working with limitations, folding utility knife with Quick Open button is convenient for easy single-handed operation.
- Includes a simple open mechanism with one click for fast access
- Tether Hole for quick connection to your coat, purse, keychain, work station, or anything else you would attach
- Quick Tool Free Change knife embraces all every 2-point utility blades
- Neatly when replacing the blade
- Maximum comfort and holding by the comfort grip
- Prolonged metal frame with support grip for safety purposes
- A strong, powerful handle carrying the blade to use and to hold in place
- No space in the body to store spare blades
|Material||Premium D2 Steel|
|Overall Length||6.85 inches|
|Extra Blade||No extra|
You will feel more curious about the Southwire Edgeforce collection:
9. HUSKY 97211 2.4’’ Utility Knife
(Best With Construction)
Stripping tubes, huh? Check it out. Are you ripping the carpet? Check it out. Will you open boxes? You’re better believe. There’s lots of stuff you’re going to require a utility knife, and this HUSKY 97211 2.4’’ Utility Knife is the one that’s going to do for you.
No more worries about clipping! A solid metal loop on its side keeps it fixed to your pockets or work belts, and the carefully placed lanyard opening makes it usable for twines, key chains, or other attachments.
When the time is right to turn the blade out, simply push and pull the button on the shaft.
- Includes easy blade replacement mechanics, but it’s durable enough to make sure not falling out with heavy duties
- The aluminum frame is notched, offering a high-friction finish that gives an enhanced power
- Comes with a single removable, reversible blade
- Reliable alternating blades can buy separately
- The blade folds on its own to keep security while it’s not in service
- Belt clip for a better carrying in the work belt or the pockets
- Wooden handle, steel accents and a sturdy build to ensure usefulness
- Quite a high price
|Material||Wood/ Stainless steel|
|Overall Length||9 inches|
10. GARDNER BENDER RKT-21 0.5’’ Utility Knife
(Best for Electricians)
Marketed as an electrician, the GARDNER BENDER RKT-21 0.5’’ Utility Knife is definitely suited to a particular form of project. I am fond of the retractable blade, as typical as it can be!
It’s most obvious attribute is its high voltage alarm system, this knife will alert you if you’re near a hot wire, and its handle is heavily shielded to protect you from unintentional shock.
The utility knife also sports cable tearing and wire stripping fittings, making it the right tool for a wide range of projects.
- Volt Trigger Sensing Electricians Knife, with Wire Stripper
- The sword is capable of overcoming a wide variety of threats
- Comes with additional blades, has a lock on and when not in operation, easy removal of blades
- Rip, slice and cut using only one tool
- The knife is sealed, can strip romex, can hold extra blades
- Gives you everything to work in every cable case
- Comes with a voltage monitor that can be useful
- Need to practice stripping wires
- Hard to select the outer coating
|Overall Length||6.5 inches|
11. FANCII 1B-UK10 0.75’’ Utility Knife
(Best for Heavy Duty)
Equipped with high duty carbon steel blades, this versatile item is useful for a range of activities, including opening bags, chopping cloth, cutting wallpapers, carpets, paperboard and plastics.
The FANCII 1B-UK10 0.75’’ Utility Knife folds beautifully and slips quickly into your wallet. The knife measures 6.6 inches when open, and closes to 4.3 inches. It just weighs 4.8 ounces.
The inoxidable steel clip lets you take it everywhere you go. Both belt and money clip can be applied to this knife, too.
- Sleek, lightweight build with anti-slip grip anodized aluminum
- Folding easily by pressing a button
- The lock-back mechanism locks the blade safely while in operation
- Quick-turn system for quickly removing the blades
- Accepts standard size utility blades
- Includes a knife holder and 5 additional replacements
- Good for in the house, job site or outside use
- Go blunt sooner than expectations
|Overall Length||6.6 inches|
12. HOME PLANET GEAR UK1 1’’ Utility Knife
(Best for Cutting Carpet)
Home Planet Gear comes with an innovative proprietary style to save the knuckles and help reduce repetitive stress. The production makes it easy to put a knife in a pocket of our tool pack, and it’s just as easy to snatch it for immediate use.
The handle prevents the knuckles from scraping on uneven surfaces – no further floor wounds, splinters or bites in cardboard and bolts.
It comes with a fully retracting and lockable variable blade place. I must say that this is the best choice for precision and general cuttings.
- It can be locked or expanded and locked at 1/8, 1/2, 3/4 or 1′′ back in place
- Comes with 5 hard duty, interchangeable, high carbon SK5 blades with replacement bearings integrated right into the grip
- Unique Patented Design provides excellent precision cutting power and also protects the knuckles
- Requires a standard replacement blade
- Heavy duty but still lightweight and fit into your pocket
- Durable zinc alloy frame with supportive and ergonomic TPR rubber handle
- Use the box cutting tool and the same cuts for arts, crafts or hobby
- An expensive version
|Brand||HOME PLANET GEAR|
|Overall Length||6.75 inches|
13. MILWAUKEE 48-22-1903 2’’ Utility Knife
(Best With Flooring)
MILWAUKEE has expanded the amount of blades you can store inside the weapon, without having to adjust the ergonomic form of the knife, or alter the way it opens.
The MILWAUKEE 48-22-1903 2’’ Utility Knife with blade storage has been developed to boost consumer usability. Tool free blade adjustment helps the user to mount a new blade rapidly and easily.
The integrated gut hook helps the customer to make a cut without removing the device while the integrated wire stripper provides flexibility.
- Press and Flip single-handed opening provide easy access to the blade
- On-board magnetic rotor storage carries four additional blades to increase device performance
- Four blade storage with the quick blade change
- All mental body add the integrated gut hook
- On-board magnetic storage carries four additional blades to boost efficiency
- Makes cuts without open the tool
- Difficult to use the hook
|Overall Length||6.75 inches|
Join me and see the how a fastback can control your task:
14. SCREWPOP SPT007 0.8” Utility Knife
(Best for Handy)
LLC Screwpop Tool prides on selling only the finest pieces of daily carry. Their products meet market standards with highly versatile designs that are lightweight, robust, and realistic.
This SCREWPOP SPT007 0.8” Utility Knife can be conveniently clipped on or connected to a keyring, a carabiner past, a paracord, a belt loop and a lanyard. The Ron’s Utility Knife 3.0 suits regular utility blades (2 or 4 notches) and allows for up to four adjustable cutting depths.
The slimmest and most portable model on the earth – confirmed! Only one blade is enough!
- The ingenious lever mechanism (along with the inclusion of an ultra-strong neodymium magnet) acts as a stop and grab razor
- Can magnetically connect to the refrigerator, toolbox, construction equipment or other objects that permits magnetization
- The blade can be conveniently stripped and thrown away and immediately replaced in every hardware store
- 4 stage utility blade (uses both 2 common blades from all makers)
- Fast deployment and blade retraction only in one hand use
- Lightweight and come in handy
- The result is all good and there are no sharp corners
- Sliding one blade slowly forward a little more tedious
|Overall Length||3.95 inches|
15. MECARMY EK16 2.04” Utility Knife
(Best for Drywall)
Built from TC4 titanium and blade comes from SATA 93434A which makes it simpler to remove the blade if necessary. Next, this MECARMY EK16 2.04” Utility Knife has a slider screw, which holds the blade firmly in place.
When you see that martin had some spare blades, fully convinced of how amazing this is SBS blades come too simple to hold spares in situations.
Remember carefully, MecArny flashlights are lightweight, with high lumen performance and USB charging interface.
- Patented utility knife with interchangeable handle cover
- The adjustable blade can be fixed into 3 positions
- Lanyard/paracord opening may be used as a Hexagon spanner at the tail
- One hand running by pushing the circle button
- Simple sourced and replaceable blade
- Exquisite and fragile with the sharpest Olfa blades
- Cool xacto tool and mini scalpel
- Not much value for everyday use
|Overall Length||3.81 inches|
The Best Utility Knives – Buying Guides
Guides are always the best way to remind you about the incident situations so that you can have a better backing-up. That’s the reason why this part is important before you make any buying decisions.
Different Between A Paring Knife And A Chef Knife
One important note that I would like to dingtinguish for you is that the different between a utility knife and a paring knife, so that you can minimize the unwanted situations of picking the wrong one.
The utility knife comes between a paring knife and a chef knife. Although the chef knife is a little bigger than the utility knife, its blade is typically longer than 7 inches.Utility knives are a mixture of cutting and paring knives.
They have scalloped tips and blades that are significantly longer than normal paring knives. The paring knife is a thin, short-bladed knife used for delicate chopping, peeling, grinding and cutting.
Knowing all about the categories, it’s time for you to jump into the blade settings. Keep reading!
How Many Kinds Of Blade In The Market?
Using the right tool blade for the item you are attempting to cut should make the job simpler and better. Make sure you work smarter, not harder.
Hook Blades: For cutting very dense and heavy-duty fabrics, using utility knife blades that have hooks on the ends. These blades can use on the roofers’ knives to chip the edge off shingles, or to hack carpet and linoleum.
Scalloped Edge Blades: For cutting styrofoam insulation, scallop blades for utility knives are used to limit the mess and to receive a clean, smooth edge as an end result.
Serrated Edge Blades: Someway similar to scalloped edge blades and are typically used in sawing operation. A sawing motion with a serrated edge tends to create traction and momentum for better cutting result.
Pointed Tip Blades: Utility knife blades are a perfect choice for materials that are difficult to pinch before constant cutting, such as garments, lightweight plastics and plywood.
Rounded Tip Blades: It is tough to use on products that need to be originally punctured, rounded tips are a perfect choice for harder materials such as foam or cardboard.
Snap-Off Blades: Such blades are specially built as a thick, durable blade that can be stretched to be sliced through glass fiber. This configuration makes the blades last longer than the regular double-sided blades.
Although there are many different types of blades, several of them can be useful for the project.
Things To Consider For The Best Utility Knife
You need to give preference to secure grip and longevity. It is also essential to double-check the features and make them easy to use.
In general, cutting is much more about the blade sharpness than the angle. Search for the handles with a textured layout. The water-resistant materials produced, such as rubber, are also effective.
Although it’s nice to be razor-sharp, you can know whether you want a retractable, set or breakaway knife. Retractable blades are suitable for short jobs, provide additional protection and require minimum effort during operation.
As the title implies, fixed blades are held firmly in one place for more stable but cumbersome sometimes. Knives with breakaway blades have many intertwined tips.
Most utility knives use a quick-change feature that helps you to swap blunt blades with sharp ones conveniently and rapidly. For certain versions, the location of the lever or button makes it possible for the blades to break off suddenly.
The concealed compartment in the handle allows safe handling and convenient access to the knives. The quick-change concept is from here too!
It’s time to move to the top ranking-up brands in the market.
- MILWAUKEE: Since its inception in 1924, Milwaukee Tool has led the industry to create creative technologies that offer improved efficiency and unparalleled reliability for skilled building users.
At the turn of the millennium, the Milwaukee Device was best known for its famous products, such as Sawzall ®, and its legendary longevity, but we had definitely lost our attention.
Milwaukee Tool is not just a maker, they are radical problem solvers.
- STANLEY: Your parents and grandparents still have been near one or two of these and the style hasn’t changed much over the years. Since 1843, STANLEY ® devices have been on the belt and in the possession of skilled builders and seasoned homeowners.
They are proud of the reputation for innovation and committed to constantly reviewing, developing and enhancing our products to ensure consistency and optimal efficiency.
For more than 175 years, STANLEY groundbreaking goods have helped to create, restore and defend our planet.
- OLFA: In 1956, the founder of OLFA CORPORATION, Mr. Yoshio Okada, invented the first SNAP-OFF BLADE CUTTER in the world.
The snap-off blade cutter was conceived as a cost-effective, safe and efficient cutter knife that would often give users a sharp blade margin to work with by snapping off the old blade edge.
OLFA has transformed how people cut items by dramatically enhancing their job quality.
- GERBER: Gerber Technology has been helping companies around the world develop, manufacture and market their products smarter, faster and more efficiently for half a century.
Drawing from a rich tradition of creativity, Gerber Technology ‘s leading technologies enable consumers reach their optimal efficiency by optimizing profitability and reducing errors and waste.
You are now so close to the best utility knife!
Maintenances And Saving Impacts For The Best Utility Knife
Saving, saving and saving are all the necessaries to maintain the best utility knife. Down there, I list up the simplest steps, which you can apply after every single use.
- Keep your knife clean and dry
- Clean your hand with moist soapy water. No sponges only in once!
- Never place a knife in a dishwasher or leave it to soak in water.
- Dry the knife absolutely with an absorbent towel. I really impress the paper towels.
- Place your knives on a magnetic wooden string, keep them covered in a leather scabbard, or store them in a knife cover or bundle.
- Note for carbon steel tool: We suggest that you oil it with the food-safe, neutral oil such as camellia oil to secure your blade and support a steady and even patina. Oiling the knife-edge will help hold the knife sharper!
A sharp knife is often better than a dull one. That’s the reason why we need to maintain the knives.
For least once a year, we suggest a skilled tune-up, particularly though you are sharpening for home. Both sharpened, the leather strop and the honing rod should be used to help keep the point sharp and straight. Honing rods do not strengthen the knife, but extract small pieces of steel that allow the tip of the blade to be real.
A note that I rarely advocate belt or machine sharpening, because these methods are often too abrasive, are not as smooth as the bottom, absorb too much material, and can fire up the metal, potentially destroying the strength.
Then you will have your knife as sharp as the very first day!
I am sure you will not want to miss the current concerns about the best utility knife, and of course, how to apply it for multiple purposes. Quickly check them out!
My Top Pick
Now, you all clear about what a utility is, how to use it in an effective way and especially, which one you choose to be the best utility knife. I am no longer waiting to share you my picking up, the STANLEY 10-099 2.43’’ Utility Knife. I hope that this tool will stand by me till the hardest tasks on my coming projects in sanding and flooring.
No longer keep these information out of your community’s reach. Pick up your phone, give your friend a call to ask for an advice or just simple share them to find out your best utility knives.