What better place to stash your important documents, cash, pieces of expensive jewelry and even ammunition than your home safe?
A quality home safe can protect items in it from prying eyes and hands, burglars, accidental loss and even elements like fire and water.
You’ve probably never thought about the benefits of a home safe, but these “boxes” are a necessity. Anyone serious about keeping their precious items safe and reachable – unlike storage boxes that are far away from home, will have one.
Safes are not a recent invention; they have very well been in existence for centuries. Chubb Locks, now Chubb safes was one of the earliest producers of safes, beginning production in 1835.
People have been using safes for over a thousand years now. One unearth ancient safe in Nanjing, the Jiangsu capital is said to be over 1,200 years as it dates back to the Han Dynasty of China.
- Top 15 Best Band Saws To Buy in 2020
- Top 15 Best Random Orbital Sander in 2020
- Top 15 Best Rated Window Fans in 2020
- 12 Tips for Successful Young Architects
- Top 12 Best Leaf Blower Reviews 2020
- Estimating How Much Does an Architect Cost in General!
- Top 12 Best Home Safe To Buy 2020
- Should I Be an Architect Quiz?
Considering that even people of old trust safes, isn’t it ideal to invest in one in this century? If you decide to protect your personal effects, this article about the best home safe is all you need.
I’ll walk you through everything you should consider before purchasing that home safe.
Before we proceed, here’s a video of how a safe works:
What is The Best Home Safe?
If you’re looking for quick review/highlights of the best home safe, this section is for you. I’ll be putting together an overview of several of the top-rated home safes on the market.
Once you’re done skimming through the summaries of the features of some of the top-rated safes available, you can check out the comparison chart just below. It will help you compare several of the safes to see which is perfect for your needs.
- Best Home Gun Safe: RELIANCER Electronic Home Gun Safe
“Carbon-steel construction weighs 7.89 pounds, uses a dual lock, foam-padded interior, scratch-resistant coating, alarm-U.”
- Best Biometric Safe for Home: TIGERKING Biometric Home Safe
“Solid steel construction, weighs 24.2 pounds, uses fingerprint plus keypad and manual keys for override, collapsible shelves, can register up to 32 fingerprints.”
- Best Small Safe for Apartment: SLYPNOS 1.0 Cubic Feet Electronic Home Safe
“Indicator lights, pre-drilled holes plus mounting hardware, digital with manual override, steel construction, 1.0 cubic feet.”
- Best Fireproof safe for Cash: SereneLife SLSFE14 Digital Home Safe
“Corrosion and stain-resistant coating, dual lock system, reinforced solid steel construction, weighs 9.25 pounds, indicator lights, fingerprints.”
- Best Home Safe with Key: TIGERKING Double Safety Digital Security Home Safe
“Six live-locking bolts, weighs 59 pounds, solid steel construction, digital lock plus key override, 2.05 cubic gold, dual alarm system.”
- Best Home Safe for Documents: SentrySafe X125 1.2 Cubic Feet Digital Safe
“Comes with AA alkaline batteries, two live-locking bolts, weighs 27 pounds, 1.2 cubic feet, easy to setup digital keypad.”
- Best Small Home Safe for Valuables: Honeywell 0.17 Cubic Feet Steel Safe
“Small but rugged, 7-year warranty, weighs 6.1 pounds, 0.17 cubic feet, digital lock system with 2 keys for manual override.”
- Best Hotel Safe: Yuanshikj Electronic Home/Office/Hotel Safe for Money/Jewelry
“Lightweight, digital locking system with key override, reinforced steel, budget-friendly, easy to set up, weighs 5.45 pounds.”
Comparison Chart of the Best Home Safe
I’ve painstakingly put together a comparison chart of 12 of the top home safe on the market today. Please look through the chart to see what lock type, weight, and material build of a home safe you can choose.
|Best Home Safes||Weight||Material Build||Lock type|
|TIGERKING Digital Live Locking Home/Office Steel Security Safe||50.2 pounds||Steel||Dual Lock (Electronic Passcode and Manual Key)|
|SereneLife SLSFE14 Digital Home Safe - Best Fireproof Safe for Cash||9.25 pounds||Reinforced Solid Steel||Dual Lock (Electronic lock and Manual Key)|
|RELIANCER Electronic Home Gun Safe - Best Home Gun Safe||7.89 Pounds||Carbon Steel||Dual Lock (Electronic key code and Analog Key)|
|TIGERKING Double Safety Digital Security Home Office Safe - Best Home Safe with Key||59 pounds||Steel||Digital lock plus key override|
|Yuanshikj Electronic Home/Office/Hotel Safe for Money/Jewelry - Best Hotel Safe||5.45 pounds||Reinforced Steel||Digital keypad with Manual (Key)|
|TIGERKING 1.4 Cubic Feet Home Safe||46.3 pounds||Solid Steel||Digital keypad with Manual Override key|
|TIGERKING Biometric Home Safe - Best Biometric Safe for Home||24.2 pounds||Solid steel||Fingerprint and keypad with Manual (key) override|
|SLYPNOS 1.0 Cubic Feet Electronic Home Safe - Best Small Safe for Apartment||24.2 Pounds||Solid Steel||Digital with Manual override|
|Honeywell 0.17 Cubic Feet Steel Safe - Best Small Home Safe for Valuables||6.1 pounds||Solid steel||Digital with 2 keys for Manual override|
|SentrySafe X125 1.2 Cubic Feet Digital Safe - Best Home Safe for Documents||27 pounds||Steel||Digital|
|SentrySafe 2.05 Cubic Feet SFW205GQC Water & Fire Proof Safe||125 pounds||Steel Construction||Digital combination with secondary lock|
|AmazonBasics 1.52 Cubic Feet Keypad Home Safe||37.5 pounds||Carbon Steel||Electronic keypad with emergency manual key|
Top 12 Best Home Safes Reviews 2020
Read through, as I go through the top 12 home safes on the market, reviewing what makes them stand out from the hundreds on the market. Continue reading for a review of the best home safes you can buy today.
1. TIGERKING Digital Live Locking Home Safe
The TigerKing digital steel safe is solidly built home/office safe made of thick steel. It also weighs about 50 pounds.
With a large interior capable of housing an assortment of precious belongings ranging from documents to jewelry and even guns, you’re sure there’s enough room for whatever you need.
This sturdy safe uses a combo of a digital lock and a manual key. Security is high with the four (4) 1-inch bolts that live lock the safe, keeping your valuables away from the wrong hands.
|Product weight||50.2 pounds|
|Size||1.34 Cubic Brown|
|Lock Type||Dual Lock (Electronic Passcode and Manual Key)|
|Dimensions (in inches)||15 x12.6 x18.9|
- It has a great cabinet with a removable shelf so you can accommodate several personal effects as you need
- Great for storing handguns, jewelry, A4 size documents, and cash
- Uses both password and key for added security
- Sturdy, high-quality steel safe
- A great alarm warning system that activates an alarm if you enter the wrong code
- No pre-drilled holes for mounting
- It’s not waterproof or fireproof
2. SereneLife SLSFE14 Digital Home Safe
(Best Fireproof Safe for Cash)
The SLSFE14 digital safe by SereneLife is a solidly built home safe produced using reinforced solid steel.
Built to be easy to access, this digital home safe makes use of dual security – electronic lock and a manual/key override. Installation of the SereneLife safe is pretty easy as it predrilled holes with which you can mount it either on floor or walls.
There’s a fingerprint sensor tech for added security. You’ll appreciate the powder coat finish of the SereneLife SLSFE14 safe which makes it resistant to stain and corrosion.
|Product weight||9.25 pounds|
|Material build||Reinforced Solid steel|
|Steel Thickness||Body 2mm, Door 3mm|
|Lock Type||Dual Lock (Electronic lock and Manual Key)|
|Dimensions (in inches)||12.2 x 7.8 x 7.8|
- It’s solidly built with reinforced steel
- Has a dual lock system – electronic (keypad and fingerprint) and a manual (key) override
- It has a great finish that’s stain and corrosion resistant
- There’s an LED indicator
- Comes with pre-drilled holes so you can easily mount it
- It’s perfect for use in the office or at home and can be hidden behind picture frames after mounting
- It’s fireproof
- It’s lightweight
3. RELIANCER Electronic Home Gun Safe
(Best Home Gun Safe)
The RELIANCER gun safe is a top-choice gun safe for securing your handguns. The sturdy safe is made of carbon steel which is of solid intensity.
There’s a power coat that keeps it from scratching and corrosion-free. The solid carbon steel safe utilizes a powerful locking system that’s very pry-resistant. There are two keys for manual overriding of the keypad lock.
This gun safe is battery powered, and you can rest easy with the potent alarm-U alert system that makes sure you’re alerted if anyone’s entering wrong keypad code on the safe. The interior has a foam padding to prevent rattling and damage to your valuables.
|Product weight||7.89 pounds|
|Material build||Carbon steel|
|Steel Thickness||Body 2mm, Door 3mm|
|Lock Type||Dual Lock (Electronic key code and Analog Key)|
|Dimensions (in inches)||12 x 9 x 5.5|
- Very sturdy, made of solid carbon steel
- Utilizes two locks, the usual keypad lock, and an analog key override
- Properly foam-padded interior protects your guns or valuables
- Scratch-resistant coating
- Alarm-U alert system to keep it tamper-proof
- Tends to be difficult to register the code
4. TIGERKING Double Safety Digital Security Home Office Safe
(Best Home Safe with Key)
This is another TIGERKING home/office safe that is worth considering. Like the earlier model, this is a digital safe made with durable steel.
It has a roomy interior capable of housing a 14” laptop among other valuables. There are six (6) live-locking bolts to hold the door of the safe in place.
With a digital lock system complete with a manual (emergency key) override, you can always get into your safe when you need to.
|Product weight||59 pounds|
|Size||2.05 cubic gold|
|Lock Type||Digital lock plus key override|
|Dimensions (in inches)||15.8 x 13 x 23 inches|
- Safe and sturdy steel material
- The large interior is capable of housing a 14″ laptop and other items
- Removable shelves for easy of organization
- It has a dual alarm system
- Has a secondary lock that protects the safe even if your code is compromised
- Color can match your home/office interior
- The reset button is easy to see
- Takes time to open after you’ve correctly input your code
Check out this video review of the TigerKing safe:
5. Yuanshikj Electronic Home Safe
(Best Hotel Safe)
This small portable safe is made of reinforced solid steel and offers strict protection for small important items.
It makes use of a digital locking system that’s easy to program. Asides the digital lock, there are two emergency keys in case you need to gain immediate access or to override the keypad.
Two steel locking bolts hold the door closed and keep your important stash out of reach. The safe’s body is power-coated making it corrosion and stain-resistant.
|Product weight||5.45 pounds|
|Material build||Reinforced steel|
|Lock Type||Digital keypad with Manual (Key)|
|Dimensions (in inches)||10.4 x 7.6 x 7.4|
- Sturdy steel safe
- Digital lock with manual (key) override
- Corrosion and stain resistant coating
- Very budget-friendly
- Good for keeping items safe from kids
- A little too light for a safe
6. TIGERKING 1.4 Cubic Feet Home Safe
Yet another TIGERKING home safe, this 1.4 cubic feet sturdy steel safe is ruggedly built with four (4) live locking bolts holding the safe’s door in place.
The interior of this TIGERKING safe is large enough to contain a 13.3″ laptop, A4 documents and other valuables like handguns and cash. It’s a digital lock system with a manual override like other models from the brand.
To keep your safe ‘safe’, there’s a sound alarming system to alert you if an intruder tries to get in. This alarm system will need the correct code to stop immediately; else it’d last for 60 seconds.
|Product weight||46.3 pounds|
|Material build||Solid Steel|
|Size||1.4 Cubic Black|
|Lock Type||Digital keypad with Manual Override key|
|Dimensions (in inches)||15.8 x 13 x 17|
- Sturdy steel build
- Digital lock with manual override
- Heavy and can’t be easily carried away
- Alarm system
- It’s somewhat expensive
- Comes with a manual but isn’t very clear
7. TIGERKING Biometric Home Safe
(Best Biometric Safe for Home)
This TIGERKING biometric home safe uses your lightning-fast fingerprint scans to gain access to your valuables. Weighing 24.2 pounds, this safe is constructed with solid steel.
As a safe that’s determined to keep intruders out, it has a tamper-resistant hinge design that’s out of sight. The safe can accept up to 32 fingerprints and as a backup, you have a key and keypad ready to jump to your rescue.
|Product weight||24.2 pounds|
|Material build||Solid Steel|
|Size||13.7 x 11 x 9.8|
|Lock Type||Fingerprint and keypad with Manual (key) override|
|Dimensions (in inches)||5.4 x 4.3 x 3.9|
- Sturdy steel construction safe
- Fast reading fingerprint with a keypad and manual override
- Convenient interior with collapsible shelves
- Able to register up to 32 fingerprints
- Setting up is not as easy as it should, as the directions are a bit complex
8. SLYPNOS 1.0 Cubic Feet Electronic Home Safe
(Best Small Safe for Apartment)
This SLYPNOS electronic home safe is built with solid steel and powder-coated to keep it reliable and long-lasting. Entire safe – body, door and live-locking bolts are solid steel.
You can program the safe with two codes, master code, and personal code and there are keys to override access manually. The safe has indicator lights for ease of operation and also to let you know the battery power.
With pre-drilled holes, you can easily mount the SLYPNOS safe without worrying about drilling it.
|Product weight||24.2 pounds|
|Material build||Solid steel|
|Size||1.0 Cubic feet|
|Brand Model||Electronic safe box|
|Lock Type||Digital with Manual override|
|Dimensions (in inches)||16.9 x 15 x 14.2|
- Solid steel construction
- Three live-locking bolts of 20mm with pry-resistant hinges
- Digital keypad access with two keys for manually overriding the keypad
- Indicator lights for ease of operation
- Pre-drilled mount holes
- Button positioning isn’t great
9. Honeywell 0.17 Cubic Feet Steel Home Safe
(Best Small Home Safe for Valuables)
This Honeywell safe is ideal for protecting small but important items like your prescription drugs, passport, wallet, jewelry, etc.
It’s a small safe and so needs to be placed somewhere, and this safe comes with its mounting hardware (is also pre-drilled) so you can bolt it down without stress.
This safe even though small, is built to be rugged and has a 7-year warranty. It uses a programmable digital lock to keep vandals and unauthorized persons away from your stuff.
|Product weight||6.1 pounds|
|Material build||Solid steel|
|Size||0.17 Cubic feet|
|Lock Type||Digital with 2 keys for Manual override|
|Dimensions (in inches)||7 x 9 x 6.6|
- Solid steel construction
- Comes with pre-drilled holes and mounting tools
- A digital keypad lock with 2 keys to manually override
- Made by a reputable company, comes with 7 years warranty
- A little flimsy and would need to be mounted to stay steady
10. SentrySafe X125 1.2 Cubic Feet Digital Home Safe
(Best Home Safe for Documents)
Although this Sentry safe isn’t waterproof or fireproof, it can still protect your valuables, especially from burglars. The safe is made of steel, weighs 27 pounds and can be bolt down.
It uses two live-locking bolts to lock the door of the safe, keeping unauthorized persons out of bounds. This sentry safe is a digital safe with a keypad. It comes with AA alkaline batteries with a massive 8-10 years lifespan.
|Product weight||27 pounds|
|Size||1.2 cubic feet|
|Lock Type||Digital safe|
|Dimensions (in inches)||14.6 x 16.9 x10.6|
- Easy to setup digital keypad
- Lots of space in the 1.2 cubic feet interior
- Two live-locking bolts
- Not fireproof or waterproof
- The safe isn’t very sturdy, with a crowbar you could do damage and gain entry
11. SentrySafe 2.05 Cubic Feet SFW205GQC Home Safe
The SentrySafe SFW205GQC safe is one that can withstand fire and water at 1 hour and 24 respectively, keeping those irreplaceable documents safe. It’s a solid steel construction safe with 6 live locking bolts.
The safe also has pry-resistant hinges and come with bolt-down hardware for ease of installation. There’s also a locking drawer and interior light. It weighs about 125 pounds making it a little difficult to move around. It’s also able to withstand a fall of up to 15 feet without opening. It uses a digital combination but has a secondary lock key.
|Product weight||125 pounds|
|Material build||Steel construction|
|Size||2.05 Cubic feet|
|Lock Type||Digital combination with secondary lock|
|Dimensions (in inches)||18.6 x 19.3 x 23.8|
- UL Classified fireproof safe, can withstand up to 1700°F for 1 hour
- ETL Verified waterproof safe, can withstand up to 8 inches flood water for 24 hours
- Sturdy steel construction can withstand falling from a height of 15 feet without opening
- Pretty heavy and can’t be easily carried away
- The lever isn’t very solid
- A bit pricey
Check out this video review of the SFW205 home safe:
12. AmazonBasics 1.52 Cubic Feet Keypad Home Safe
The AmazonBasics 1.52 cubic-foot safe is a basic home safe that’s great for storing pieces of jewelry, documents, and many other small valuables.
It makes use of a programmable electronic keypad and has a manual back up key for use during emergencies. This 1.52 cubic feet safe is made of heavy-duty carbon steel (the steel door is 8-gauge steel, while the body is 14-gauge steel).
Two live-locking bolts keep the door close. It also has concealed pry-resistant hinges that add to the security. This AmazonBasics safe comes with pre-drilled holes alongside wall and floor mounting hardware.
|Product weight||37.5 pounds|
|Material build||Carbon Steel|
|Size||1.52 Cubic feet|
|Lock Type||Electronic keypad with emergency manual key|
|Dimensions (in inches)||13.8 x 13 x 16.5|
- It’s a sturdy heavy-duty carbon steel safe
- Comes with pre-drilled holes and its mounting hardware
- Uses programmable electronic keypad and has a manual key for backup
- Two live-locking bolts keep the door shut
- Has a 1-year warranty
- Not fireproof or waterproof, just basic safe
When you decide you need a home safe, your first step to decide on what type of safe you need. Consider the different features, pricing and what you’re looking to protect.
A buying guide will help you connect the dots to make an informed buying decision. Here are some features to consider before deciding on your perfect home safe.
Size and Weight of Safe
The home safe comes in varying sizes and of course weigh differently. There are small, portable ones you can fit in a cabinet or other small space, and there are larger and more spacious ones.
The weight will determine how you secure the safe. You don’t want an intruder to come in and carry your home safe out. If it’s a small and lightweight safe, you should keep it hidden or mounted. A larger safe can be placed as in without securing.
You can also decide to opt for a home safe with mounting hardware. These safes are easy to conceal, so intruders and thieves don’t know where they are and can’t get into them
With many safes available on the market, different features are also put in place to keep thieves away from your valuables.
Dual lock options (the use of both digital and manual key bypass), biometric safes that makes use of your fingerprint, and exclusive digital touchpad (passcode entry).
All these are some of the features together with concealed hinge bars are some of the most prominent features that are put in place to keep any unauthorized person from getting access to your items in the safe.
Water and Fire Resistance
Some safes come with extra protection against elements – especially fire and water. With some being able to withstand extreme heat for about 60 minutes, and some others able to keep water from seeping into them even when underwater.
My Top Pick
All the products I’ve reviewed are worth checking out, but for a regular home, the AmazonBasics 1.52 cubic foot safe is my personal favorite. It’s made of sturdy, heavy-duty carbon steel with two live-locking bolts keeping the door shut.
Its programmable electronic keypad is well designed and it has a manual back-up key in case you forget your pass. It has a decent weight and also comes with pre-drilled holes so you can mount it on the floor.