As long as you have devices that require plugging into wall sockets in your home, you should consider getting a surge protector. Most people tend to ignore this important device; usually until one of their electronics fries.
Having a surge protector can help you keep your devices safe, especially when there’s a sudden ‘surge’ of voltage coming into your home.
Plugging your electronics directly to electrical power can be problematic for your devices, and this is why you need to invest in a quality surge protector.
One thing is, people tend to confuse surge protectors with power strips. While they both tend to look alike, power strips or extension blocks are just for expanding the number of outlets (from a single wall socket) you can plug your devices to.
A surge protector on the other hand not only helps you expand power outlets for your devices but also, majorly provides a sort of barrier that shields them from excess electric charge.
- Top 15 Best Step Ladders On The Market 2021
- Top 15 Best Tape Measures To Buy in 2021
- Top 15 Best Belt Sanders On The Market 2021
- Top 12 Best Laser Measuring Tools To Buy in 2021
- Top 15 Best Snow Shovels On The Market 2021
- Top 15 Best Table Saws For The Money 2021
- Top 12 Best Wood Routers To Buy in 2021
- Top 15 Best Band Saws On The Market 2021
Simply put, a surge protector is an inexpensive method of keeping those pricey electronics safe, especially if you’re staying in a location with frequent surges in the electric current or unreliable power supply.
In this list of the best surge protectors, I’ll be going over 12 highly rated surge protectors that are ideal for all your specific needs, like the best surge protector for gaming PC, best surge protector for home theatre, and so on.
Table of Contents
Which Are The Best Surge Protectors To Buy?
If you’re looking for a brief overview of the best surge protectors available on the market today, you came to the right spot.
In this section, I’ll list out the best surge protectors, highlighting their key features and why you should consider them. This is an important section for readers who will prefer to skim the content of the text and still make an informed buying decision.
If you are an adept reader who will prefer to read minute details of these highly-rated surge protectors, please proceed to the review section just down below. Also, don’t forget to check out the comparison table below.
- Best for Office Use: Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector
“12 ports (4 fixed 8 rotating), 8 feet heavy-duty cord, 4,320 Joules rating, $300k CE guarantee, works for heavy-duty home office and kitchen equipment.”
- Best for Lightning Strikes: APC 11-port Surge Protector
“11 ports, 6 feet cord with space-saving flat end, lifetime warranty plus CE $250K protection policy, 2880 joules rating.”
- Best Budget: AmazonBasics 8-port Surge Protector
“8 ports, 4500 joules rating, sliding covers for cord protection, can be mount on a wall, 6 feet cord, LED indicators.”
- Best Wall-Mount: Echogear 8-Port Surge Protector
“8 ports, 3,420 joules rating, EMI noise filtering, fireproof MOV, 6 feet power cord, in-built circuit breaker, can be mount on a wall.”
- Best Appliance: Power Strip 6-port with 5 USB Ports
“6 regular ports plus 5 USB ports, 1,700 joules rating, light indicator, an extender for wall mounting, 6 feet heavy-duty cord.”
- Best for Gaming PC: Tripp Lite ISOBAR2
“Solid metal casing, durable design, 1,410 joules rating, noise filtration, 6 feet power cord (additional 12ft AC cord extension), 2 power outlets.”
- Best with USB: Powertrip 6 USB, 6-Port Surge Protector
“6 USB ports and 6 regular power ports, 6 feet heavy-duty cord, fire retardant shell, 125V energy with up to 1400 joules rating, UL approved.”
- Best for All-round Protection: HOSLEM 12-Ports, 3 USB Ports Surge Protector
“12 regular power cuts plus 3 USB ports, flameproof material, 6 feet power cord, 4000 joules, has a keyhole for wall mounting.”
Surge Protector Comparison Chart 2021
|Product Name||Cord Length||No. of Ports||Joules Rating|
|Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector with 12 Outlets - Best for Office Use||8 feet||12||4,320 Joules|
|APC 11-port Surge Protector with USB Ports (P11U2) - Best for Lightning Strikes||6 feet||11||2,880 Joules|
|AmazonBasics 8-port Surge Protector - Best Budget||6 feet||8||4,500 Joules|
|Echogear 8-Port Surge Protector - Best Wall-Mount||6 feet||8||3,420 Joules|
|Power Strip 6-port with 5 USB Ports - Best Appliance||6 feet||6 regular with 5 USB||1,700 Joules|
|Tripp Lite ISOBAR2 - Best for Gaming PC||6 feet||2||1,410 Joules|
|Powertrip 6 USB, 6-Port Surge Protector - Best with USB||6 feet||6 regular with 6 USB||1,400 Joules|
|HOSLEM 12-Ports, 3 USB Ports Surge Protector - Best for All-round Protection||6 feet||12 regular with 3 USB||4,000 Joules|
|Tripp Lite 12-Ports and 2 USB Power - Best for Data Lines||8 feet||12 regular with 2 USB||4,320 Joules|
|Rosewill Rotating 12-Port Surge Suppressor||6 feet||12 ports||4,320 Joules|
|JACKYLED 10 power ports and 4 USB Ports surge protector - Best Energy-Saving||6.5 feet||10 regular ports and 4 USB||900 Joules|
|Echogear 6 Rotatable Power Strip, 2 USB - Best Advanced||6 feet||6||1,080 Joules|
Top 12 Best Surge Protector Reviews in 2021
Let’s quickly take a look at the best surge protectors on the market.
1. Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector with 12 Outlet
(Best for Office Use)
Your electronics in the office are safer with the Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protector. It has a 12-outlet power strip and a 4,320J energy rating capable of protecting your devices from a power surge of a maximum of 6000v.
The Belkin Pivot-Plug has a cord clip to organize the cables alongside a rotating outlet that allows you some space to use bigger AC adapters. To top it off, the Belkin Pivot-Plug has a lifetime guarantee plus a $300,000 CE (Connected Equipment) guarantee.
- 12-outlet power strip or ports
- 8-feet cord
- 8 rotating outlets and 4 stationary outlets
- 4320 joules energy rating
- The Belkin Pivot-Plug is pocket-friendly
- Allows enough space for larger AC adapters
- Works excellently for office computers, printers, modems, and even home appliances
- Pivot design is one of the product’s strong points
- Internal fuse cannot be replaced if faulty due to overload
- Belkin tends to avoid honoring product guarantee
You can check out this video review of the Belkin Pivot-Plug surge protector:
2. APC 11-port Surge Protector with USB Ports (P11U2)
(Best for Lightning Strikes)
The P11U2 is a high-quality surge protector from the top-rated electrical company Schneider Electric.
The energy rating of the P11U2 is 2,880J and it has 11 ports to protect as many appliances from the sudden electrical spike. The long heavy-duty power cord (6 feet) is capable of freeing up more space for other appliances.
Besides the lifetime warranty and CE (connected equipment) guarantee of $250,000, the P11U2 comes with two USB ports that provide full charging voltage for your tablets and phones.
- 6-foot heavy-duty power cord built to minimize space
- An energy rating of 2,880 joules
- Laced with 2 USB ports with 2.4 Amps of power
- Has 11 ports for as much devices protection
- Has a compact build that makes it portable
- Efficient surge protection with tight plugs
- Manufactured by a reputable electrical company
- Sockets are not deep enough
- Markets as a lightning surge protector, but heavy lightning strikes (rare) will damage your devices
Here’s a video review of the APC 11-port surge protector:
3. AmazonBasics 8-port Surge Protector
This 8-port AmazonBasics surge protector is quite inexpensive, considering its numerous features.
With 8-ports and having a total energy rating of 4,500J, the AmazonBasics can protect all your electronic devices from power spike including computers, TVs and more.
It is equipped with a LED indicator that tells if your devices are protected and a fireproof MOV for added safety. It also has a power button for a resettable circuit breaker in case of overload and well-spaced ports for large AC adapter blocks.
- LED indicators for active protection
- 8 ports
- 6 feet power cord
- The total energy rating of 4,500 joules
- Designed with a back keyhole in case you want it mounted on the wall
- Sliding covers to protect the ports from dirt and dust when not in use
- Provides dependable protection against power surge
- An LED indicates when devices and wiring are protected and grounded respectively
- Can be hung on the wall to minimize space
- Well-spaced ports for large adaptors
- Portable design
- Green LED lights might be too intense
Be sure to check out this video review of AmazonBasics surge protector:
4. Echogear 8-Port Surge Protector
For a surge protector that you can just fit behind or in-between furniture or mount on a wall, this Echogear 8-port surge protector offers impeccable protection.
It doesn’t just economize available space, it provides efficient protection against surge and has an energy rating of 3,420 joules.
The 8-ports protect up to 8 of your most important appliances. Your home is completely safe with the additional fireproof MOVs plus the efficiency of the Echogear 8-port lasts for a long time.
To eliminate any lurking fears, the manufacturers have tested this product for safety and it is UL certified. Additionally, there is a $25,000 CE warranty on this device.
- Built with 8-ports
- Has a high energy rating of 3,420 joules
- Fireproof MOV for extra protection
- 6ft power cord and built-in circuit breaker switch
- RFI/EMI noise filtering
- Slender design makes it able to be hidden away behind furniture or hung on the wall
- Possess all the necessary features of a reliable surge protector and more
- Offers long-lasting protection from surge protection
- Doesn’t have adequate space for larger adapters
5. Power Strip 6-port with 5 USB Ports
This is one of the most universal surge protectors in the market. It has an energy rating of 1,700 joules.
The Power Strip surge protector has 6 regular ports, and as much as 5 USB ports that churn out a decent 21W of current for your phones, tablets, and iPad.
It has a switch for saving power when not in use and a 6ft long angular flat power cord which helps reach farther outlets. You can hide your surge protector behind furniture or mount it on the wall and still enjoy the efficiency of the Power Strip surge protector.
Power Strip markets this surge protector as being ‘lightning-proof’ and able to protect against overload, thereby saving you hundreds of dollars in replacement of your home or office appliances.
- 6ft-long heavy-duty power cable
- 6 ports for appliances and another 5 USB ports for phones and other devices
- An energy rating of 1,700 joules
- Outlet extender for wall mounting
- Light indicator for appliance(s) protection
- Portable and compact
- Has a durable build
- Well-spaced ports avoid clogging of adapters
- It has fewer ports for appliances (just 6), while there are 5 other USB ports
6. Tripp Lite ISOBAR2
(Best for Gaming PC)
The lifetime and CE warranty of $25,000 won’t lure you to purchase this product as its efficiency would. The ISOBAR2 looks solid and durable in its metal housing.
It has a 6ft-long power cable that connects a 1,410-joule power circuit. This surge protector is built to minimize any noise between the plugged appliances via its 4 filter banks.
The Tripp Lite ISOBAR2 provides premium protection from power fluctuations and can be stashed away behind furniture or hung on a wall.
It can also be placed anywhere and reach farther power outlets with its additional 12ft AC power extension cord.
- Metal casing for safety and a durable design
- Long 6ft cord and an additional 12ft AC power cord extension
- 2 power outlets
- An energy rating of 1,410 joules
- Noise filter bank
- Durable design that is fire-proof
- Switch for saving power when not in use
- Can be used for home and office appliances
- The noise filtering device may fail and cause annoying buzz sounds
- Just two ports make it a bit limiting
Checkout the video review of the Tripp Lite Isobar2:
7. Powertrip 6 USB, 6-Port Surge Protector
(Best with USB)
You’ll hardly find a surge protector that will detect your device and provide suitable protection with its advanced in-built surge protection module.
This power trip surge protector will automatically provide fast charging for your devices after detection.
You can also protect six other appliances from electrical fluctuations with the six, well-placed power outlets. For durability, the material of this device is fire-proof and offers premium protection for all plugged-in devices.
- 6 USB outlets and 6 ports
- Churns out a 125V energy capacity and up to 1400 joules rating
- 6ft heavy-duty power cord
- Highly fire-resistant shell
- Made of fire-proof material and built to last
- The sleek design makes it easy to hide surge protector in-between furniture and keep messy cords organized
- Can provide fast charging for as much as six smart devices at a time
- Multiple certifications mean the product quality is top-notch
- On/off switch plus low heat efficiency
- Cannot be hung on a wall
8. HOSLEM 12-Ports, 3 USB Ports Surge Protector
(Best for All-round Protection)
For most surge protector users, this product is a winner. First, it has 6 spaced power outlets and 6 regular ones alongside 3 USB charging ports.
It is ideal for all-round protection of home and office appliances – thanks to its 4000 joules energy capacity.
The body is built with a flame-resistant material and a 6ft heavy-duty power cord (UL Listed), that is suitable for home or professional use. You would also enjoy a 2-year warranty as well as lifetime technical support on your purchase.
The HOSLEM 12-ports surge protector is ETL and FCC certified, so you rest easy knowing your expensive devices are all protected from power surges and fluctuations.
- Keyhole slots for hanging on the wall
- 12 power ports and 3 USB ports
- 4000 joules surge energy
- Fire and flame-proof cover material
- 6ft heavy-duty power cord
- Well-built with nice, portable design
- Offers all-round protection from energy fluctuations while keeping your home safe
- LED indicator to show protected devices
- Can be hung on the wall for space minimization
- The power switch may become problematic
Here’s a video review of the HOSLEM 12-ports surge protector:
9. Tripp Lite 12-Ports and 2 USB Power Outlets
(Best for Data Lines)
Black, sturdy and sleek, this Tripp Lite power surge protector has attachments (RJ11 jacks coaxial connectors) for protecting data lines including faxes, telephones, analog modems, cable modems and more.
Additionally, it has 2 USB ports for smart devices or iPad and 12 ports for protecting as much valuable electronics both in the home and office.
Tripp Lite allows for noise filtering and has a whopping 4,320 joules for maximum protection of appliances. You can also use the mounting slots to secure your device onto a wall, workbench, desk or media cabinet.
- 2 USB charging ports and 12-power ports
- 4,320 joules energy rating
- Advanced noise protection
- Illuminated switch to check the power status
- Diagnostic LED
- Mounting Keyholes at the back of the device
- Provides Data line protection
- Noise filtering helps keep annoying sounds off
- Diagnostic LEDs show when your appliances are being protected and when the wall outlet is grounded
- It’s not as durable as should be
10. Rosewill Rotating 12-Port Surge Suppressor
The Rosewill power surge suppressor provides premium protection from electrical fluctuations and spikes that might harm your appliances at home or in the office.
This Rosewill device is ruggedly built, with a high 4,320 joules rating and a rotatable power strip for convenience. It also features noise filtering, with RJ11 and coaxial connectors for cables, telephones, antennae and satellite protection.
It has an overload circuit breaker (resettable) controlled by a power button. Eight of this device’s 12 power outlets are rotatable while the other four are stationary. Let’s highlight some of the key features that make the RHSP-13006 a good buy;
- Coaxial connectors an RJ11 jack for telephones, fax machines, satellite and cable
- 6ft heavy-duty power cord
- 12 power ports
- Power buttons for resettable circuit control
- EMI/RFI noise control
- 4,320 joules energy rating
- Sturdy build
- Efficient protection of appliances from power spikes
- Working noise is kept to the barest
- The rotatable design makes this device easy to use anytime
- Too bulky hence not conveniently portable
- No USB charging port for smart devices
11. JACKYLED 10 power ports and 4 USB Ports surge protector
The JACKYLED energy-saving surge protector is a unique one. Built like a tower, this device can accommodate 10 appliances and 4 smart devices like tablets, iPad, and cell phones.
With each layer of this device is a switch that turns that particular layer off when not in use thereby saving energy. The 6.5ft power cord of the JACKYLED can be adjusted or retracted to keep your space tidy and take up less space.
You shouldn’t worry about quality as there are several certifications (quality and safety) from RoHS, FCC, and CE. This 900 joules power surge protector guarantees a safe home and office.
- 900 joules energy rating
- Independent switches on each layer for saving energy
- 10 power outlets and 4 USB charging ports
- Retractable power cord
- Tower shape makes it easy to use in limited space
- Provides premium protection for home or office appliances
- Adjustable cord for convenience
- USB ports may not be capable of fast charging
12. Echogear 6 Rotatable Power Strip, 2 USB ports
Echogear promises more power with its 6 rotatable ports. It’s pretty powerful, sporting a 1,080 joules energy rating. There are holes for mounting on walls if you fancy. Whether on the table or furniture, you can place this device and rest assured that your appliances are safe.
It comes sporting with MOVs, RFI noise filters all enclosed in a ceramic casing to keep the flames out in case of a serious energy surge.
- 6 power outlets that can rotate conveniently and 2 USB ports for charging phones
- X-3 MOV
- 1,080 joules of surge power energy tolerance
- EMI/RFI noise filtering (40 dB)
- Inbuilt circuit breaker and heavy-duty, super flexible power cable
- Can be placed on the floor, behind furniture or hung on the wall for convenience
- High quality and can accommodate multi-shaped plugs
- MOVs ensure your home is safe in the event of a large power surge
- It can be used when camping
- Rotating outlets may be rigid and get broken
- Cannot organize messy cords
Some Of The Critical Things To Consider Before Buying A Power Surge Protector Include
So, you’re reading this because you’re thinking of getting a power surge protector. However, you need a little advice regarding how to pick out the best surge protector for your needs. In this buying guide, I’ll highlight several factors you should consider before investing in a surge protector.
Prefer watching video demonstration? Here’s a video of how to choose the right surge protection product:
Number Of Ports
One of the most important things to consider is the number of ports you need for your electronics. Buying the right number of ports will ensure there’s no need for daisy-chaining surge protectors – which is a serious risk.
You might want to consider the UL seal (it should be certified by Underwriters Laboratories), also be sure it passes as a transient voltage surge suppressor. For a good surge protector to meet their transient requirements, and thus really do the work of protecting your devices, it should meet the UL 1449 standards.
Often overlooked, the warranty of the surge protector is important to note as a few surge protectors warranty devices plugged in for a certain amount if a power surge damages them. Be sure to check the type of warranty that’s applicable and exactly how you can file a claim in case your surge protector is or becomes defective.
Clamping Voltage And Absorption Rating
Another important thing to note is the clamping voltage, i.e. the voltage where the surge protector will jump to action and being absorbing the energy.
Typically, look for surge protectors with 400 Volts or less, as the lower the better.
The Absorption rating which means the amount of energy the surge protector can take in before becomes too much is also important. You want to purchase one with a high number (in Joules), but around 600-700 should be the minimum.
What Devices Will You Be Plugging into It: You should definitely consider the devices/gears you plan to connect to your surge protector. While you can just spend on any reliable surge protector on the market, getting one that is tailor-made for specific equipment is best.
If you plan to connect media devices like a video game or gaming PC, you should consider a surge protector ideal for such devices and robust enough to take on their connectivity requirements in contrast to smaller items like phone chargers or a portable fan.
If you want to see how a surge protector works, this video explains a bit:
Our Top Pick
Our top pick is the HOSLEM 12-Ports surge protector that offers all-round protection for any of your devices. It has a high 4000-joule energy rating.
A heavy-duty 6 feet UL duly approved cord. It’s built with a flame retardant material that keeps it safe in high temperatures (up to 1,380℉ or 750℃).
The ETL listed Hoslem surge has keyhole slots (for easy wall mounting). It has an inbuilt LED light and best of all has a solid 24-month warranty. It’s also duly certified by the FCC. It’s worth checking out and you can purchase one here.